Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Sun Sun Sun, Here it Comes



Well, there's not much sun out these day in my part of the world. Actually, we had our first snow of the season yesterday--the first snow that stuck, rather; I think there was some a few weeks ago.  Guess it really is winter now.

You do get some sun in the winter, of course, but it's not the sort you want to go hang out in.

I was working on patterns of suns and moons for a bracelet when I ended up with this choker pattern, although I had to go through a few permutations to get it correct.  It's a bit like that whole moon-in-sun motif you see trying to be Mystical everywhere. I wish I knew the cultural history behind that one; where did it come from? I feel like someone once mentioned it was Old-World Central/South American, but the current style of it doesn't seem to support that.

It's just this odd little symbolism that fails to conjure up any sort of mystical appreciation when I look at it.  At best I get a few associations with Disney-style gypsies and a memory of it's over-use on that one trip I took to Salem, MA.

Well, my choker is similar to that idea, but also entirely different, so I don't have to worry about failing to respect any cultures in trying to sell it.  It's just a cheerful little necklace in strong colors which celebrates our two most obvious sky inhabitants.

Great for anyone who loves the sun, the moon, the sky, or 'mystical' symbols of dubious origins.

No comments:

Post a Comment