Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Beware the Fairy Ninja!



This one might take a bit of explaining.

See, I like to write fairy tales (uh...gay ones; my extended family still hasn't found this blog, right?) and I have a modest online following (for certain definitions of modest, that is).  One day--and I don't remember how, exactly--one of my oldest fans suggested that I write a fairy tale with a ninja in it.

This works surprisingly well.  Shockingly well, actually. All you have to do is go into the fairy tales and change any reference to a 'fairy godmother' into a reference to a 'ninja' and you've pretty much got it.  Creepily, it changes the story very little in most cases.  (Don't believe me? you can check out the story Cinder-Ninja--but only if you don't mind a dash of gay romance in your fairy tales).

It's almost like fairy godmothers have been ninjas all along, and we just couldn't see it because, well, because they were ninjas, and ones that were pretty good at their jobs, too.

I've been playing around with the imagery of the fairy ninja, and with some clever use of cut paper and cleverer use of primitive photo-editing software, I came up with this:


Which I then quickly turned into this:





(The picture sucks, I know, but it'll get it's own post in a few days, so I have until then to figure out how to fix that)

But then I figured; why stop there? and so I created this:



And then I posted it on etsy.

My mom couldn't figure out what it was, although she's got little contact with ninjas (...that she knows of), and didn't know about the whole fairy-god-ninja bit. Even after I explained it she looked at me like I was crazy, but that's the only test audience I have, so I'm forced to conclude that it's one of those things that you can only understand if you already know what it is.

It's a pity, really; I'd love to make a name for myself as 'that fairy-ninja girl', but I think I'll need to reach a broader audience than I currently do first. There's a few too many things that are already fairies in gay fairy tales, if you take my meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment