Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Monday, December 20, 2010

Deja Vu


I've actually had one strong experience of Deja Vu. I've had others every so often, but this practically amounts to a prophetic dream.

Christmas is always a stressful time of year for everyone, and especially for me.  Several years I've found myself crying on or before Christmas for no apparent reason--or for really stupid reasons that were really just the last straw. I do this around my birthday, too, so I think it has some connection to me expecting too much and then not getting it, even if that doesn't quite explain why I cry before the holiday... 

Anyway, the point is that when I'm stressed I tend to dream about the thing I'm stressed about. Not always, and occasionally well after the fact, but one year I dreamed a few days before Christmas that my aunt would stand in the middle of the room and ask 'who's going to clean up this wrapping paper' or something to that extent, and then, on Christmas, she did.
 
Clearly I should be declared the next oracle of Delphi--although I'll pass on the volcano fumes, which are just unnecessary.

Although a more scientific mind would tell you that this has more to do with traditions and the fact that Christmas always happens the same way.  We go to my grandparents, socialize awkwardly until all the attending relatives are present, read the Bible Story, con the youngest child into handing out the gifts, throw all the wrapping paper on the floor and leave the mature among us to clean it up--mature people like my aunt, who puts it in garbage bags, or like my grandparents who throw it all in the fire.

We then socialize awkwardly with whichever relatives we deem worthy of talking to (for example I've an uncle who never talks to anyone female, and I prefer to avoid several of my cousins) until it's time for dessert. I can also assure you that at some point someone will turn on the TV because you can't sit in a room with a TV off, and that I'll probably pick up a book at least once.

If we're lucky we'll get enough people together to play a game, but if we're unlucky it'll be Spoons.

And since this is the way that every Christmas has ever gone, with a few alterations based on ages, is it any wonder that I dreamed what would come to pass?

It's like an endless loop of tradition and habit that goes round and round and--hey! just like a mobius strip!

No comments:

Post a Comment