Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Slight Changes and Penguins

So all the Christmas Bracelets are up, and none of them have sold. The AmysintheArts promotion has passed for me, and nothing has sold. It's hard to remain optimistic in the face of all this, so I've decided to stop making new stuff.  I'm still planning on renewing a post every day, and if it's not already been shown on here, then I'll write a post about it.

There might be patterns, tapestries or the odd bracelet posted now and again, but in general I'd like things to sell before I post more of them--four pages of Etsy shop is rather overwhelming, if nothing else.

If the item I'm renewing has been displayed here already, then I figure I'll make the post related to older not-for-sale things that I've made, just to keep it all fresh.

Today's relisting is the Penguin Bracelet:


It may look familiar, since I used the same pattern to create the Pinguin, which I blogged about here.  Unlike certain other animals, penguins aren't truly Christmas-related--there's no flock of flying penguins to pull Santa's sleigh, no cutesy stories about children adopting stray penguins into the family, no Christmas Penguin to hide snowballs around the house for snow-ball hunts.  But since Christmas traditionally takes place in the winter, which due to a Western and temperate-climate centric culture is generally associated with snow, and the most well-known penguins live in the snowy wastes of Antarctica, there is some relation. Although I'm still not putting it into the 'Christmas' section of my shop.

I also think this in one of the cutest things that I've ever made. My mom tried to steal it when she first saw it (and since I can hardly get her to look at the piece I made for her this is a fairly good recommendation), and it's one of the most popular things in my shop--or so I like to think. It's often hard to tell.

Ironically, I didn't set out to make a penguin. I was sitting there and working hard on the owl pattern, which wasn't going so well, but then I paused for a second and realized it looked like a brown penguin, so I copied the pattern and went with that.

I later fixed the owl pattern (or so I like to think), which you can see for yourself in the Wise Owl Bracelet. It took several owls to get it to work, and I still have slightly mixed feelings about them, but I'll be damned if the pattern doesn't make the cutest penguin. 

Sometimes things just work out that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment