Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Friday, November 12, 2010

Pokeher


I dunno, maybe this one should be 'Poker Bracelet' instead, but poker's not exactly the only game you play with cards.  And aside from depicting the card suits this bracelet has nothing to do with poker.

Cards were always a big part of my life growing up.  My family used to play Rummy Royal together some nights--which was the one game dad would play with us.  And after mom taught me and my older sister Rummy 500 we'd play a hand of that before bed each night and keep a running tally of our scores in our heads.

My friends and I used to play a card game called 'Spit'--although I've since learned that maybe we made up a few of the rules--and I remember more than a few recesses that were given over entirely to one long-running game of War.

My grandparents have a cabin up north, and they'd take the four oldest cousins up there for a week each summer--usually a week full of rain--and we played a lot of games and even invented a few of our own.  It's where I learned to shuffle cards and then bridge them, which is now such an automatic habit that I get confused by people who confess that they can't do it.

My uncle once came to visit and spent four hours teaching us to play Black Jack (and run the numbers, too) a skill which I could have lived without, but have found occasionally entertaining.  Certainly I got repeated use from the rant that accompanied taking four hours to teach Black Jack.

Even now I find great joy in playing cards--though it's mostly Solitaire these days.  Just the potential involved in picking up a standard deck of cards and knowing that it could lead to a million different variations of fun gives me a thrill.

No comments:

Post a Comment