Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Friday, February 18, 2011

Foxhart

FoxHart Banner
This is a use for beadwork that I think is really interesting;  Heraldry.

This type of beadweaving, especially with the Czech seed beads, work best with a few simple and flat colors, perhaps a bit of simple shading here and there.  All of which are also true of heraldry, since they needed clear and simple shapes and bright colors that you could see from the far side of a battlefield or down a distant road.  Heraldry wasn't always simple, I know, but it makes for a neat place to draw pattern ideas from.

This banner isn't anyone real, but is instead based off a story I wrote where two neighboring kingdoms are combined into one, and this is the resulting flag, I guess. They are on a peninsula and... you know what? Let's just say that I've put too much thought into making the symbols in this work just so and leave it at that. I don't want to bore anyone, after all.

I keep meaning to put up a 'custom beaded heraldry banner/flag/thing' but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't really know what--I mean, if I were selling at Ren Fairs or right to the SCA I'd feel fairly comfortable making the offer and knowing there was interest in it, but just tossing it out onto Etsy worries me that I'll just be missing the target audience--or anyone who might be even remotely interested.

Maybe someday, after I get my life in order, one part of which is a goal to join the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronisms, that is), perhaps then I can put out feelers to see if there'd be a market for such a thing.
Or maybe I'll put it up on Etsy anyway. One thing not selling doesn't make a big difference from another thing not selling, I guess.

Oh, and I relisted the Flag pin and the World Map Pattern on Etsy today. I just didn't have anything to say about them, so I went with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment