Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Monday, January 3, 2011

Day Three

Well, it's the third day of reposting the same thing every other day, but since the viking bracelet got way more attention yesterday, I wonder if I chose the wrong thing to repost.  Well, if it doesn't get more than three views today (even though I posted it early) then I'll move on to something else.

Or maybe I should just photograph everything with Legos.

Today's topic will instead be about maps:

Map One
Map Two

This is one of my favorite patterns. Probably because I ended up making it from scratch all on my own. I mean, I had a map to go off of--actually, I had two, but the one had only the outlines of the continents, while the other had some of the details, but I couldn't get it to convert, so I had to...fuss a lot with my patterning software, and eventually ended up making the whole thing pretty much on my own.

It also has a larger number of colors than I was accustomed to using, and since they are all placed very precisely to create this beautiful thing--I just love it.

Map One
I loved it so much, in fact, that I made a second one. There are some subtle differences between them, most notably that I used a different green in the second one.  It ended up being a delica green, since that was the closest I could get to the one I'd used before, and the beads are an entirely different size and shape, throwing everything off. I think I did something similar with the off-white in the corner, but it's a more subtle adjustment.

I actually wish that they were a bit more different, since the words on the map are rather odd.  I used this as the central piece in my senior show in college, where all the beaded tapestries I made had a myth/legend theme to them, so I titled it 'Here There Be Legends,' but I have no idea why I didn't remove the letter from the second one.  Or change it to say 'here there be dragons,' which is a more traditional thing for a map to say.  Weird.
Map Two

I've thought about cutting it out and replacing the words with blank beads, but I've a different size thread, and the beads have been stewing in the attic for years, and I suspect they've changed color--which means any replacing I do will be pretty obvious.

So instead I just pretend it's intentional as I try to sell Map Two on Etsy. The pattern is also up for sale, if you're interested in making your own world map.  I've even removed the words from it, although I can add them--or have it say 'here there be dragons' instead, if you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment