Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Is it too early for Valentine's Day?


So here's a lovely little number. Pink and purple hearts, made with delica beads.

I only have three colors of Delicas (two now, technically), and since Delica beads fit only with other Delica beads and my colors were pink, purple and green I didn't have a whole lot of options.  Creating this bracelet used up the purple ones, but I'm not sure quite how I feel about pink and green together, so I don't quite know what I'm going to do with the remainder.

Certain people among you might say that I should buy more Delicas! But the truth is that I don't care for them.  I've never really used them before (and I'm a bit vague on how I ended up with two of the three colors I have), but I approached this project with an open mind.

I liked that all the beads were the exact same size and cut, and fit together perfectly without bulges in any dimension, but that was pretty much the only thing I liked about them.

They are too small.  I sewed and sewed and sewed and still had half a bracelet.  My other heart bracelet(s) have eight hearts, this one has TEN to make up the same length.  I'll have to jack the prices of my bracelets up even higher if I switch to delicas.

And then there's the fact that they are...inorganic.  While beautiful, the bracelet has a slight sense of having been built with Legos; a bunch of perfect squares lined up perfectly with the separation between them hard to see.  The Czech beads had a more oval shape, which can cause it's own problems, but that rounded space between the beads adds a certain natural feel and organic texture that the Delicas just don't have.

So I enjoyed making this bracelet (and it's beautiful) and I'll probably enjoy making whatever I make from my remaining green and pink Delicas, but in the meantime I don't think I'll be converting my bead collection over.

A fact for which my pocket-book thanks me.

No comments:

Post a Comment