Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Heart of my Heart


I realize talking about hearts is getting old, but I'm supposed to talk about what I'm posting if at all possible, so hearts it is!

I occasionally like to think about the origins of the heart-shape.  A simple internet search will probably provide me with the correct (or at least the generally accepted) answer, but that would take all the fun out of this particular mental exercise.

I heard a long time ago that people were amazed to find that the heart-shape was, in fact, closer to the shape of the womb than to the shape of the actual heart, as if this meant anything.  The heart-shape is just a shape.  People don't go around being amazed that mouths are often represented by circles when in fact a circle is more like the shape of an eye (Dun Dun Dunnnnnn).

And there are plenty of other things in nature that are shaped like a heart.  Like strawberries.  Or arrow tips.  Or, if you round out the bottom, apples--apples like Paris gave to Hellen of Troy because she was the most beautiful woman (which then eventually led to the Trojan War). That makes a lot of sense to me; that people started passing around apples based on this story, and then eventually an apple was translated into the image of an apple, which altered slowly over time and gave us; the heart!

No wombs need apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment