Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Saturday, October 23, 2010

ZOMG! A blog!

Alright. Well, I'm new to this whole blog-thing--if you can't tell from this being my first post and all.

And, to be honest, I have no idea what I'm supposed to *do* with this blog.  Everything says that, since I keep trying to be an online-artist, this is the best way to get information out there about my artwork and inspiration. I'm not sure why people would care about that, but I guess it goes along with the 'stories' I'm supposed to sell people about everything I make.

Which brings us to the other problem I will have with keeping a blog--I'm too humble! I think everything I do is boring, uninteresting and done for the wrong reasons. I have no idea why you'll be interested in what I do. Hell, I'm often confused over why I find what I do interesting. Go figure.


Well, I work mostly with beads because it's simple--make a pattern, choose colors, sew on first bead, repeat 5,372 times, finish and hang on wall.  There's not much more to it. Patterns I come up with because I think they might look interesting, they are something I want to wear, or they are something I'm hoping someone else would like. I'm not very good at guessing what other people like.

I like dragons, bunnies, trees, irony, sarcasm, new bead colors, reading, being left alone, Parmesan cheese, tomatoes and receiving emails. Sadly, not all of those fit on bracelets.

Today's project: Finish that bracelet with the Christmas Trees on it.

Inspiration: Christmas is coming soon, and I thought maybe someone will buy something related to it. People do that, right?

Pattern: It's too tall. I prefer to make bracelets that are 8-11 beads wide, including space for boarders and negative space around the image. This Christmas tree itself is 11 beads tall. Rather than sacrifice my artistic preferences I sacrificed the float-space over the tree, so the bracelet is only 11 beads wide, but the 'star' on top of it rubs against the ceiling. Guess that's why you need to measure your tree before you put it up.


Colors: That awesome iridescent green I got at a garage sale, my new favorite red, boring 'chalk white,' silverlined yellow/gold and a simple transparent brown, you can guess which color goes where.

Technical: I've also been placing the red 'ornaments' at random, which worked really well until I stumbled across the perfect placement--but am too far committed to chaos to change what I've done.

Notes: I interrupted my regularly-scheduled work on this one so I could make that custom piece I put up today. It'll only have ten Christmas trees on it. Twelve would be even better, but I don't think I know anyone with 9" wrists... If you are someone with 9" wrists, and you'd be interested in a 12-days/trees-of-Christmas bracelet, speak up, otherwise I'll stick with 10 trees.

Today's Posted Item: It was a custom request, so you can't have it. But if you want it anyway, perhaps I can make you another one...

No comments:

Post a Comment