Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Dragon Choker



I guess Dragons is today's topic.  I guess I'd like to say that I've liked dragons since well before they were cool.

I know everyone nowadays likes dragons and you can buy dragon figurines and dragon books everywhere, but when I started liking them there wasn't a stuffed dragon to be found, and I had all five of the dragon books out on the market.  One was just a bestiary of mythological creatures, but it had a dragon on the cover, si I guess it counted.

I am of two minds about the increasing popularity of dragons.  On one hand, I like the fact that I can buy tiny plastic dragons in stores, but on the other hand I don't like that if I want a shirt with a dragon on it I have to either shop in the boys section or reassess my dislike of the color pink.  I don't feel that dragons were ever meant to be pink, I'm afraid.

I'm also less than fond of the idea that something I like is now something everyone likes. I always went out of my way to eschew the popular things and decide what I liked on my own--which occasionally matched with what was popular, but not usually.  Now what's popular has decided it likes the same things I do, and some part of me feels like I should start liking something else because of that.  Just to be contrary, you know?

But once you've liked dragons, what can possibly replace them?  'sides, Harry Potter ruined all the other possible mythological creatures by making them popular, too.  Well, except for vampires, but those aren't what you'd call 'less popular' these days.  Seriously. I'm down to--to, uh...hypogriffs.  And who can really love a creature that's half-horse half-eagle?

No comments:

Post a Comment