Habitual Habitat of the Amy

I kept reading advice columns for how to bring sales to your etsy shop, and one thing they all said is to get a blog.

I can't say this blog has boosted my etsy sales, but it has given me yet another outlet for talking about myself, and that can't be bad--can it?

The direct link to the Etsy shop is HERE

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Talking to Myself




Well.  It's a bit like talking to myself here, but I guess that's because I've told no one that I've started a blog.  It's my fault, I suppose; I put some stuff in that second post that I haven't told anyone, and if I plan to keep my secrets, then I shouldn't direct them to my blog--not that there's any particular reason to keep that information as secrets, just that it's been unknown for so long I'm not sure I want to go blathering it around to people.  I certainly don't want to explain why I haven't said anything about it these past months. Or years, depending which secret we're talking about.

See, people? this is why you should tell everyone everything.  Even the white-lie-by-omissions may come back to haunt you and prevent you from telling people about your blog.

Today I posted the fish bracelet, which could also be a ghoti bracelet, since English is awesome like that. I believe my inspiration was something along the lines of 'hey, wouldn't it be neat if I made a goldfish', which thought may or may not have been itself inspired by a need to be rid of the blue and/or orange size 10 beads.  I'm quite pleased with the way it turned out, although the fish are a bit longer than most patterns I've used, and I think I meant for them to be smaller, originally.  They are a bit fish-cracker-ish, but I like cheddar goldfish crackers, so I've never had a problem with that.

But perhaps you'd like to hear my life story as relates to goldfish?

Well, when we were younger we often had goldfish as pets, as many people do. We would sometimes win them from the ping-pong-ball-tossing game at fairs, and it was the memory of this that led my college-age older sister to win two goldfish at some small fair or another.  One fish died a few days later, but the second lived well over two years.

He attended college, and when that wasn't in session he would come to camp with me and my sister, riding on the floor between my feet in a fish-carrying-case.  He never fought against going into the case like a cat, but I doubt he enjoyed the journey.  My feet only got wet once from it, so I didn't mind. It is good that I'm short, though.

Sometime after the goldfish's death I asked my dad to forward me any pictures were had of family members that included their whole body--I needed it for an art-project.  As a joke he included a picture of the fish. I didn't use it for that project (we were supposed to be working on the human figure), but I based the four paintings in my final series for that class off of the picture of the fish.

They turned out rather well, I received an 'A', and ever since I've been rather fond of goldfish in my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment